Friday 26 October 2012

Week 5: 26/10/2012


This week we reviewed the test we had sat two weeks ago, so that we could see what the correct answers were and review what we need to learn.

After that we went to the lab and for each of the previous waveforms (the sound files from last week), identified the largest and smallest amplitude measured. The find the difference in decibels and calculate the ratio.

For the englishwords2 file, I found the largest amplitude to be -2dB and the smallest to be -27dB. I then used the formula:

10log[10](maxAmp/minAmp)

To work out the ratio which was 316. I then did the Sopran ascenddescend(1) files which had the largest amplitude of -2 dB and the smallest at -21dB, it had a ratio of 79.

Notes to remember:

  • The spectrum is measured on a graph as amplitude Vs frequency.
  • The ratio is also know as the dynamic range.

I hope to get a copy of the test so that I can write notes of what I need to remember in more detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment